Sunday, June 21, 2009

Falling on Hard Times

Cleaning out my documents file I came across a .doc I'd written just over three years ago. Interesting perspective I had then and little has changed over the last 1,104 days but my faith. I am a stronger believer in a higher power than I was when the downward spiral began eight years ago. My level of empathy has also continued to spiral upward. No longer do I look at a poorly dressed woman dragging tired and worn clothing out of a dryer and think "Why doesn't she buy something new"? When I see an overweight woman my first thought isn't "How could she let herself go like that". The first thought when I see a bald woman is no longer one of repulsion but compassion.

So even though my circumstances haven't changed much, my viewpoint has and for that I am profoundly grateful. I have survived cancer, poverty and depression and still I am not defeated nor wallowing in self pity. I no longer measure time by man's clock but by that of a much higher power whom I am certain has amazing things in store for me.

June 12, 2006

I’ve often thought that if elected officials were forced to live as I have over the last five years, the middle class would be growing instead of disappearing. Healthcare for the masses would be a reality, not an impossible dream and those that sit in the seat of power would be doing more than warming their seat.

Since reality shows seem to be all the rage today, imagine a series where a Congressman, Senator or President was stripped of their cash and told they had to find a way to pay the mortgage, health insurance and utilities without the benefit of a regular paycheck. They would be forced to rely on wits not welfare. There would be no paycheck coming in at the end of the month but a guarantee of a mailbox full of final notices. Personally, I think it would be a phenomenal hit that would grip the country and keep them tuned in week after week. Should a producer decide to develop a reality series like that I’d be more than glad to be their technical advisor!

As incredibly stressful as the last five years of pinching pennies has been, it has given me a perspective that I would never have gained from the backseat of my limo. Having actually said to a driver ”Home James” (yes, his name was actually Jim) to be car-less is unimaginable to some but survivable by most. I went from riches to rags in a less time than it takes to grow a beefsteak tomato. How this happened isn’t as important as how I survived and eventually thrived. And wondering how the next mortgage and health insurance is going to get paid has left me with a strange sense of comfort. I’ve come to trust in a force much greater than myself and have handed over the illusion of actually being in control of my life.

8 comments:

  1. Wow beautiful you should send into paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully honest perspective. You get my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful, and quite inspirational. In a time of rough circumstances, this reminds me that I could be far worse off than I am.. even though I do wish those who make 6 digits now would look back and remember what it was like to just start, or to have troubles, and remember what it was like to just.. survive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually in the same position and it has greatly changed my perspective. Not on how I see others, because I started out with very little, but more about how I see myself. Starting over can be hard, but with it comes the strength of knowing that we could dare to be something different and new!

    Thanks for that post...quite encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, fellow Jersey girl. Be strong. Wishing you great things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for commenting. I try for honesty but sometimes laying myself bare is hard. Now I'm just waiting to see if I can save my house from a tax sale 15 hours and counting!

    ReplyDelete