Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sugar Cookies - 140 year old English recipe

I wanted to share a favorite family recipe. I've been making these for almost 35 years. Before you say ewww, icky...bacon grease...I want to tell you that I've tried making this several different ways without the grease and the flavor is NOT the same. Of course if you hate bacon, leave it out! These are amazingly delicious sugar cookies and since they're now discovering that not all saturated fats are harmful I'm willing to give into my yearly craving at the holidays.

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
1 c. shortening combine: 1/2 c. bacon grease & 1/2 c. Crisco
2 eggs
1 scant tsp. baking soda, mixed with milk
3 T. milk
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
dash of salt

Cream together the sugar and the shortening. Gradually add the well beaten eggs, vanilla and milk. Beat in remaining ingredients and add flour until cookies are of a consistency for rolling. Roll out, cut with round cutter and sprinkle with white sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 14 minutes.

This recipe from the Angola Episcopal Women's Cookbook, 1970; Mary Hankins, Albion, Indiana

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I will definitely try this sometime, thanks! hope you are ok, I haven't been on FB for ages! Speak soon I hope! suzie. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. really and truly, bacon grease? i always have little floating bits in my bacon grease; don't you? I love sugar cookies. i love vintage recipes. do they at all taste like ... bacon? bacon grease? oh, do tell. :-) HOW COOL ... Davielle in California

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is how I get those floaty bits of bacon out. As the holidays near I start to fill a little crock with a strainer on top. Once I'm done cooking the bacon I pour it into the crock through the strainer. You have to be sure that the crock didn't just come out of the fridge tho' or you'll have a cracked crock and bacon grease all over the counter...trust me on this :)
    And no, you can't taste the bacon just the sugary goodness of those yummy cookies.

    ReplyDelete